Why talk about the Deviant Sects of Old?
|AUTHOR:||Jamaal bin Fareehaan Al-Haarithee|
|SOURCE:||Al-Ajwibat-ul-Mufeedah 'an As'ilat-il-Manaahij-il-Jadeedah (pg. 33-37) [2nd Edition]|
Someone might say: “Why do you talk about the Mu’atazliah, the Jahmiyyah, the Zanaadiqah, the Ash’arees,, the Khawaarij and the Murji’ah and always mention them when speaking about the issues of Creed, when these groups have ceased to exist and its adherents have died out?” As the saying goes: “They have been consumed by time.” So there is no reason to mention them. Our response is, and with Allaah lies the success: Yes, these sects existed in the past, and their followers and founders have died out ages ago. However, their ideologies still prevail, and their beliefs have not come to an end. Rather, the followers of these ideas and beliefs, who have been influenced by these groups, are still present among us today.
So their ideologies and beliefs are passed on from generation to generation, and they have people who continue to pass them on. As for the beliefs of the Mu’tazliah, then it is still in existence today and in fact it is widely spread amongst those who ascribe to Islaam. This is since the Shee’ah, in all of their various sects and denominations, even the Zaydees among them, adhere to the beliefs of the Mu’tazliah. As for the Ash’arees, then it is a sect that exists in groups amongst a majority of the Muslims today. As for the belief of Irjaa, it can be found also in the Hanafees who believe that Eemaan (Faith) is just tasdeeq (affirmation) and qawl (speech). So actions, according to them, do not fall into the fold of Eemaan. Even though this Irjaa is of a lesser nature, it is still from the Irjaa of the well-known people of rhetoric. And as for the apostates, such as those who believe in wahdat-ul-wujood and other than them, then they exist today as well, since the followers of Ibn ‘Arabee can be found today and they are from the extreme Sufis.
So based on this, when we mention these groups, we are not talking about the actual groups of old, but rather we are talking about the groups that exist among the Muslims today. And this is something that is not hidden from the students of knowledge. So it is only those who are unaware of the realities or those who wish to confuse the people and spread false beliefs that condemn us when we mention these groups. So it is upon such people to ask before they condemn. This is just a short discussion on the matter, but in reality this topic is vast, and Allaah knows best. I will present some examples below that make it clear that the ideologies of these destructive groups are still present today:
1. Sayyid Qutb said in his book “In the Shade of the Qur’aan” (4/2328): “The Qur’aan is present and in existence just like the earth and the heavens.” This is the belief that the Qur’aan is created, and this is the view of the Jahmiyyah and other deviant groups.
2. He also said in the afore-mentioned book (6/4002) while interpreting Allaah’s statement: “Say: He is Allaah, the One” [Surah Al-Ikhlaas: 1]: “This indeed refers to the oneness of existence. So there is no reality except for His reality, nor is there a true existence except for His existence. So everything else that exists, its existence stems from that actual existence.” This is the belief of wahdat-ul-wujood.
3. Muhammad Qutb said: “The matter requires us to call the people to Islaam all over again, not because, this time, they reject saying ‘Laa Ilaaha Illaa Allaah, Muhammad Rasoolullaah’with their mouths, as the people during the first stage of strangeness would do, but because the people during this time reject the main requisite of Laa Ilaaha Ilaa Allaah, which is: Judging by the Legislation of Allaah.” [Quoted from the book “Our Current Situation” (pg. 29)]
I say: This is declaring the masses to be disbelievers, in the absolute sense. If this is not so, then how can he judge that the people reject Allaah’s Rule. And how can he liken them to the Days of Ignorance prior to Islaam, without going into detail or making exceptions for those who do in fact implement Allaah’s Legislation, and who have no constitution except the Book of Allaah? These kinds of general statements are oft repeated by these writers, as if they don’t acknowledge the existence of the huge Salafee Islamic state located in the heart of Arabia. And it is as if they don’t acknowledge the existence of Muslims in various other regions that are from the followers of Hadeeth, supporters of the Sunnah and adherents to the beliefs of the Salaf.
The strange thing is that these people, or some of them, were living in this Islamic state (The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia) at the time they made such statements, which contain grave deception for the readers, such that an average person is led to believe that there cannot be found an Islamic state today that professes Laa Ilaaha Illaa Allaah, implementing its requisites and ruling by Allaah’s Laws. And it leads the reader to believe that there cannot be found any individuals or groups that adhere to Tawheed on the face of this earth. And this is deceiving, misleading and deluding the readers. So let the student of knowledge take note of this phenomenon that is widespread amongst these types of writers, may Allaah guide them to what is correct!
4. One of those who ascribes himself to the Da’wah said: “From the outward display of sins is when a person boasts about his sins in front of his colleagues. So he begins to speak aloud, saying he did such and such, and he goes into detail about many of his sins. This kind of person will not be forgiven (!!), unless he repents, because the Prophet ruled concerning him that he will not be pardoned:‘Everyone from my ummah will be pardoned except for those who outwardly profess their evil.’ And what is worse and viler than this is when some of them say: ‘I have unlawful relations’ or ‘I have girlfriends’ or ‘I go on dates.’ This person is filled with sins. Some of these people even record sins on tapes! There is no honor for these people since they are apostates by doing this!! They record how to beguile a girl and get her to commit lewd acts. This is apostasy from Islaam! This person (who records this) will be in the Fire of Hell forever unless he repents!!” [From the tape “A Gathering on the Platform]
And with regard to some of the singers, whose tapes are spread around by the youth – tapes which call to filthiness and which delude the young boys and girls, he said: “I am certain that the person who does this act, the least that can be said about him, is that he takes sins lightly. And there is no doubt that belittling a sin, especially if it is a major sin and the scholars have unanimously agreed on its prohibition, constitutes disbelief in Allaah. So the likes of these people, there is no doubt that their actions are apostasy from Islaam. I say this with a tranquil and calm heart.” [The tape: “The Youth – Questions and Problems]
I say: Declaring sinners to be disbelievers and interpreting the spread and distribution of sins amongst the people as being a belittlement of sins that leads to disbelief, this shows hastiness in labeling people disbelievers due to major sins and a lack of showing restraint. And this is from the methodology of the Khawaarij, as they declare people to be disbelievers due to major sins. As for \the example he gave of a person manifesting his sins and evil relationships with sinners, then this kind of talk shows that these things are probable but do not consist of clear proof. Perhaps the thing that causes the person to do this is ignorance. This is why we must remind them and not declare them disbelievers. And this is the way of Ahlus-Sunnah wal-Jamaa’ah. Furthermore, belittling something and taking it lightly does not constitute a mockery of it. In fact, everyone that commits a sin, whether major or minor, doesn’t do so unless he first considers it trivial and belittles it. So someone who takes something lightly doesn’t necessarily ridicule it. And who is the one that is free from sins?! And Allaah knows best.
5. Another person said, whilst asking a question and then responding to it at the same time: “Do you think that the evils that are present in our communities today are just sinful matters? Many people assume today that interest is just a sin or a major sin, and that drugs and alcohol are sins, and that bribery is just a sin or one of the major sins… No doubt O brothers!! I have looked into this matter and it has become clear to me now that: Many people in our societies have made interest lawful, and refuge is sought in Allaah. Did you know that now the interest-based banks in our country has reached two million customers? I swear this to you by Allaah! Does each individual from these millions know that interest is Haraam, but yet still deals with it even though it is a sin?! By Allaah!! So then, from the danger that is present today, due to the vast amount of widespread sins is that many people have made these major sins permissible and lawful, and we seek Allaah’s refuge! [From the tape Tawheed First (!!)]
I reply with the same answer I gave in the previous example. However, this example is more dangerous for the one who made this statement, in my understanding, since in his grave exaggeration, he claims that what occurs in this society from interest, alcohol and bribery, all of these are not just disobedience or major sins. And he swears by Allaah to this! Being determined that the one who commits sins is deeming it to be permissible, without hearing from anyone of them that they clearly assert interest to be lawful, or dealing with bribes to be lawful or using drugs and alcohol to be lawful – to positively deem these people to be disbelievers without hearing these statements come from them or having a reliable proof that bears witness that they in fact deem these acts to be permissible, and to instead only have assumptions, is a clear proof of the weak restraint and lack of consideration this individual has. This is the methodology of the Khawaarij and the Mu’tazliah. So my advice to him and those like him is to recant from making such general assertions that are more dangerous for them than for others. Turning back to the truth is better than persisting in falsehood.
6. A third person, who has a doctorate in ‘Aqeedah, said whilst holding in his hand a flyer from a hotel in one of the Gulf states: “In this hotel, it clearly states, that they serve alcoholic drinks, in addition to the other things it has…So this is a clear call to alcohol and to naked and intermingled dancing whilst drinking alcohol. We seek Allaah’s refuge from this disbelief.” [From Cassette No. 272/2 of The Explanation of al-‘Aqeedat-ut-Tahaawiyyah]
And he said in a book of his: “Disbelief and apostasy has appeared in our newspapers, evil has spread in our circles and we are called to fornication on our radios and television sets. And we have made interest lawful.” This book was prepared and printed with various different titles. In Pakistan, it went by the title: “Removing the Grief from the Scholars of the Ummah.” In America, it goes by the title: “Kissinger’s Promise.” And in Egypt, the book was titled: “Facts surrounding the Gulf Crisis.”
Regardless, you have seen how this individual has taken it upon himself to make the statement that we have made interest permissible. But we, all praise be to Allaah, do not deem interest as being permissible, nor does our society. Nor do we consider simply distributing alcoholic drinks to some of the neighboring regions as being open disbelief that expels one from the fold of Islaam. Rather, that which we worship Allaah with, is that those things mentioned by these individuals that ascribe themselves to the Da’wah – all of these things are sins, apart from disbelief. In fact all of these acts are a lesser form of disbelief (i.e. minor disbelief), meaning that they are acts of disobedience and major sins that negate the completeness of Eemaan of the person who commits them, but not the foundation of Eemaan, as the Prophet said: “A fornicator does not fornicate whilst being a believer at the time he fornicates. And a thief does not steal whilst being a believer at the time he is stealing…”
No doubt the Eemaan (Faith) that is being negated here is the completeness of Eemaan (i.e. so the sinner does not have complete Eemaan, meaning his Eemaan is deficient). And there are many more examples of this in our Religion. We ask Allaah to grant us understanding of our Religion and to guide these people and their likes to the truth. My dear brother, O you who strives for this Salafee methodology! After seeing these examples of the ideologies present in some of the callers today, not to mention the youth that are deceived by them, and who sit in front of them, taking their ideas and beliefs, which destroy the Creed of the Salaf.
After seeing all this, will you still say: “Why do you talk about these groups that have come to an end”, when their deviant and corrupt beliefs and methods still exist and their misguidance is still present?? So reflect, may Allaah guide you, on the importance of Tawheed and of implementing it, and on warning about all of the deviant groups in every time and place, and on returning back to the methodology of the Salaf as-Saalih (righteous predecessors), in light of the Book and the Sunnah, and Allaah knows best.
Purchase the complete translation of this book from Al-Ibaanah.Com